Rock N’ The Knob – Pennsylvania’s Highest Trail Race
SEPTEMBER 18, 2021: ALLEGHENY TRAILRUNNERS INC. IS PROUD TO PRESENT THE 10th ANNUAL ROCK ’N THE KNOB – PA’S HIGHEST RACE.
- At over 3,100 feet above sea level, it is Pennsylvania’s highest race.
- A 10K, half-marathon or 26-mile options. Both are more technical (rocky) than our little sister, the Dirty Kiln Trail Race.
- Lodging packages available at Blue Knob All-Seasons Resort, wake up feet from the start and finish.
- SWAG: We hope that with post-COVID, we can have our regular swag package back for 2021. Stay tuned!
- Post-race food and beer tasting is included with the entry fee.
- 10K course: By far the most challenging 10K in Pennsylvania (based on average finish times and overall winning times). Two major climbs give you 1495 feet of climbing. There is one aid station at the base of the first climb called Throat Punch Hill at 3.5 miles.
- Half-marathon course: We are taking the marathon course and cutting it in half but keeping some of the fun and sufferfest in with 3010+ feet of climbing on the 13.12 mile course! There are three aid stations and a six 1/2-hour time limit. There are 3 Aid Stations: At Chappelle’s Field (Mile 4.6); At Ravens Rest (Mile 7.2); At Heavens Hairpin (Mile 11.1). Cut-offs: Ravens Rest at 4 hours (@1:00 pm) and Heavens Hairpin at 6 hours (@3:00pm) and the time limit to finish is 6.5 hours.
- Mountain Marathon: For mountain-goats, this course has broken the will of many as you repeatedly ascend one of the highest peaks in the Central Alleghenies – finishing with almost 6,200 feet of climbing on your legs. There are 6 Aid Stations: At Pavia (Mile 7) Chappelle’s Field at 10.5 miles, Raven’s Rest at 13.1 miles, Heavens Hairpin at 18.3, Quitters Row at 20.3 miles and Throat Punch at 23.3 miles. We are developing new cutoff times for the 2021 race so stay tuned.
Start/Finish Address: 1424 Overland Pass, Claysburg, Pennsylvania 16625. Bib pickup begins at ONE HOUR prior to each race.
No same-day signups for this event. REGISTRATION ENDS SEPT. 8TH AT NOON.
We are re-doing our usual SWAG that we have done pre-COVID like shirts, glassware, socks and more. Stay tuned for updates.
ADDITIONAL COURSE INFO
DYK that mountain goats are great at math! Here is some data on the climbs and descents for Rock ‘N The Knob Trail Challenge. The number in parentheses indicates which course – 6, 13 or 26 mile course) www.alleghenytrailrunners.com
Marathon: 6500 feet of climb in 26 miles is 250 feet of climbing per mile
Half Marathon: 3500 feet of climb in 13.1 miles is 267 feet of climbing per mile
10K: 1496 feet of climb in 6.2 miles is 241 feet of climbing per mile
ROCK ‘N RIDGE TRAIL CLIMB (26)
683 foot climb in 1.53 miles – 8.4% grade
STOEHR CLIMB (13,26)
149 foot climb in 0.27 miles – 10% grade
RAVEN’S WHYSONG (13,26)
253 foot climb in 0.42 miles – 11% grade
CHAPPELL’S CLIMB (26)
331 foot climb in 0.49 miles – 12.7% grade
BEAVERDAM CANYON/I’LL NETTLE DO THIS AGAIN (13,26)
1048 foot climb in 1.3 miles – 15.2% grade
SOUL SUCKER SLOPES – ALL 3 SLOPES (6,26)
560 foot climb in 3333 feet – 16.8% grade
THROAT PUNCH HILL – ALL (6,26)
480 foot climb in 1787 feet – 27% grade
TEAL IS REAL/DEEP HALLOW NOTCH (13,26)
332 foot climb in 1161 feet – 28.5% grade
EUROS – “THE EAST WIND” (13,26)
400 foot climb in 1175 feet – 34% grade
I NEED A SHERPA (6,26)
198 foot climb in 475.2 feet – 40% grade
UPPER THROAT PUNCH HILL (6,26)
194 foot climb in 475 feet – 40.8% grade
BEAR TRAP! – (SECOND OF THREE SOUL SUCKER SLOPES) (6,26)
110 foot climb in 264 feet – 41.7% grade
CRIST RIDGE TRAIL (26)
716 foot drop in 1.8 miles -7.5% grade
DEVILS HAIRPIN (6,26)
613 foot drop in 0.8 miles -14.5% grade
BLUE KNOB SUMMIT/UPPER & LOWER MAMBO (13,26)
611 foot drop in 4058 feet -15% grade
HERMAN STEPS/BLISTER BLASTER (13,26)
625 foot drop in 0.6 miles. -19.7% grade
SIMON GRUBER’S FALL (13,26)
429 foot drop in 0.4 miles -20% grade
183 foot drop in 528 feet -34.6% grade