Rock N’ The Knob – Pennsylvania’s Highest Trail Race
SEPTEMBER 14, 2019: ALLEGHENY TRAILRUNNERS INC. IS PROUD TO PRESENT ROCK ’N THE KNOB – PA’S HIGHEST RACE.
- At over 3,100 feet above sea level, it is Pennsylvania’s highest race.
- A 10K, half-marathon or 26-mile options. Both are more technical (rocky) than our little sister, the Dirty Kiln Trail Race.
- Lodging packages available at Blue Knob All-Seasons Resort, wake up feet from the start and finish.
- SWAG: Rock ‘N The Knob technical shirts and merino wool 5-inch cuff socks! Our famous metal bottle openers for the first 200 registrants. Taster cups for the 10K; pint glasses for the half-marathon; and pints glasses and growlers for marathon finishers while supplies last.
- Post-race food and beer tasting is included with the entry fee.
- 10K course: By far the most challenging 10K in Pennsylvania (based on average finish times and overall winning times). Two major climbs give you 1495 feet of climbing. There is one aid station at the base of the first climb called Throat Punch Hill at 3.5 miles.
- New Half-marathon course: We are taking the marathon course and cutting it in half but keeping some of the fun and sufferfest in with 3010+ feet of climbing on the 13.12 mile course! There are three aid stations and a six 1/2-hour time limit. There are 3 Aid Stations: At Chappelle’s Field (Mile 4.6); At Ravens Rest (Mile 7.2); At Heavens Hairpin (Mile 11.1). Cut-offs: Ravens Rest at 4 hours (@1:00 pm) and Heavens Hairpin at 6 hours (@3:00pm) and the time limit to finish is 6.5 hours.
- Mountain Marathon: For mountain-goats, this course has broken the will of many as you repeatedly ascend one of the highest peaks in the Central Alleghenies – finishing with almost 6,500 feet of climbing on your legs. There are 6 Aid Stations: At Pavia (Mile 7) Chappelle’s Field at 10.5 miles, Raven’s Rest at 13.1 miles, Heavens Hairpin at 18.3, Quitters Row at 20.3 miles and Throat Punch at 23.3 miles. You have 9 hours to complete the race with cut-off at 5 hours (1pm) at Raven’s Rest; 7 hours (3pm) at Heavens Hairpin and 7.5 hours (3:30pm) at Quiters Row. You need to finish the race by 5pm.
Start/Finish Address: 1424 Overland Pass, Claysburg, Pennsylvania 16625. Bib pickup begins at 7am Saturday at the pavilion.
No same-day signups for this event. REGISTRATION ENDS SEPT. 12TH AT NOON.
Deadline to be guaranteed a bottle opener has passed. (Limit is first 200 registered which we have surpassed.)
Deadline to be guaranteed a tech shirt in your size is 5pm on Tuesday, September 3rd. We will print a limited number of extra shirts but can not guarantee your size.
Deadline for socks is limited to the first 260 registered runners. We have reached this limit late afternoon of September 10th.
Deadline to be guaranteed a taster glass (10K) and a pint glass (Half, marathon) is 8pm on Tuesday, September 10th.
Deadline for a growler (marathon) is limited to 120 marathoners. We have yet reached this limit.
(For any runner who don’t receive a glass or socks… we will discuss with you several options after you cross the finish.)
ADDITIONAL COURSE INFO
DYK that mountain goats are great at math! Here is some data on the climbs and descents for Rock ‘N The Knob Trail Challenge on Sept 14. The number in parentheses indicates which course – 6, 13 or 26 mile course) www.alleghenytrailrunners.com
Marathon: 6250 feet of climb in 26 miles is 238 feet of climbing per mile
Half Marathon: 3013 feet of climb in 13.1 miles is 230 feet of climbing per mile
10K: 1496 feet of climb in 6.2 miles is 241 feet of climbing per mile
ROCK ‘N RIDGE TRAIL CLIMB (26)
683 foot climb in 1.53 miles 8.4% grade
CHAPPELL’S CLIMB (26)
331 foot climb in 0.49 miles 12.7% grade
BABU CHIRI’S REVENGE (6,26)
853 foot climb in 1.2 miles 13.5% grade
BEAVERDAM CANYON/I’LL NETTLE DO THIS AGAIN (13,26)
1048 foot climb in 1.3 miles 15.2% grade
THROAT PUNCH HILL – ALL (6,26)
480 foot climb in 1787 feet 27% grade
TEAL IS REAL/DEEP HALLOW NOTCH (13,26)
332 foot climb in 1161 feet 28.5% grade
UPPER THROAT PUNCH HILL (6,26)
194 foot climb in 475 feet 40.8% grade
CRIST RIDGE TRAIL (26)
716 foot drop in 1.8 miles – 7.5% grade
DEVILS HAIRPIN (6,26)
613 foot drop in 0.8 miles -14.5% grade
BLUE KNOB SUMMIT/SKI SLOPES (13,26)
746 foot drop in 0.9 miles – 15.6% grade
HERMAN STEPS/BLISTER BLASTER (13,26)
625 foot drop in 0.6 miles. -19.7% grade
SIMON GRUBER’S FALL (13,26)
429 foot drop in 0.4 miles -20% grade
183 foot drop in 528 feet -34.6% grade
Warning: The account for rockntheknobtrailchallenge needs to be reconnected.
Due to Instagram platform changes on March 2, 2020, this Instagram account needs to be reconnected to allow the feed to continue updating. Reconnect on plugin Settings page